Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Getting started

Antique electric fans are an interesting collectable. There's a lot of variety to choose from, many manufacturers  made early fans with ornate castings and brass blades and all the way through the 1950's they were still making quality fans. If fans interest you, I highly recommend you visit the Antique Fan Collectors Association, (AFCA) to get to know which fans interest you the most and what type of fan you would like to buy. Familiarize yourself with the different fans so you can distinguish between fans that are original and ones missing parts and pieced together. Restoration work on fans can be great fun as well if you come across one in need of it, it takes a lot of work and time but the outcomes can be quite rewarding. Early fans can become quite expensive, but if you keep your eyes and ears open you can still get in for cheap prices from time to time. In this hobby I've found so many great folks willing to lend a hand and help out with a fan or information, it's a great group to be a part of. In this blog I'll be covering the fans I already own and go over some I can hope and dream about owning someday! I find that this addiction has moved quickly though in the last few months, in June I owned one brass blade and cage fan, now in October I have 5 of them, some of which where dream fans a few months ago. It's worth the effort to save up and get the fans you really want, in the end it's best to own a handful of really nice fans vs many so so fans, this is something many collectors have told me and I'm now a true believer of that notion.

No comments:

Post a Comment